Our purpose and values
Southdown was established in 1972 and is one of the largest not-for-profit specialist providers of care, support and housing services for vulnerable people in Sussex.
We are a robust and successful organisation supporting 10,000 people a year (approximately 640 of whom are tenants), employing over 1,000 staff and with a turnover of £26 million.
We have three operational divisions providing services in East and West Sussex, and in Brighton and Hove; the Community Support Services (CSS) division, the Housing division and the Learning Disability (LD) division. The CSS division provides a range of services, including: mental health recovery, housing related support, supported employment and peer support schemes. The Housing division acts as the landlord arm of the organisation. The LD Division provides accommodation and care, supported living and community support.
Our clients and tenants have mental health difficulties or learning disabilities or are people who are or have been homeless. A smaller number have addiction issues or sensory or physical disabilities. All are offered the support they need to live a more fulfilled and independent life.
Southdown has grown to become one of the largest voluntary sector employers in Sussex and has an excellent reputation for staff training and development.
Everything we do is driven by our core values, which are adopted and enacted day in, day out in all our services.
Our guiding principles
Our pledge to clients
We are driven by our clients' needs and aspirations. We pledge to each and every one of our clients to:
- aim to get things right first time and every time
- receive and respond to all feedback
- monitor satisfaction of our services
- regularly check on the quality of our services and inform clients of the results
- continually look for ways to improve the standard and efficiency of the care and support we provide
Read what our clients say about us here.
Our pledge to staff
At the core of our success is the commitment, passion and hard work of our staff. We work hard to recruit and retain skilled and caring individuals who hold the same values as Southdown and are committed to making a difference to the lives of vulnerable people in Sussex. In return, we aim to be the best employer we can be and ‘the place to work’.
We pledge to every member of our staff to:
- offer good employment benefits and working conditions where everyone is treated fairly and with respect
- create a welcoming, professional and enjoyable work culture that recognises individuals' input
- invest in induction, training and supervision to ensure staff are skilled and supported to do their job
- provide resources and organisational support services so staff can work effectively and efficiently
- be a flexible employer so staff can enjoy a good work/life balance
- celebrate the contribution staff make to help us provide vital services for our clients
Read what our staff say about us here.