Supporting our staff’s mental health
With one in six people of working age having a diagnosable mental health condition, we believe it is essential that employers offer mental health support for their employees.
Southdown is a registered ‘Mindful Employer’ and we work hard to provide a positive work culture and support for all our staff who experience mental health challenges.
For many this is an occasional reaction to the strain of ordinary life events, for others it is a long term but common mental health condition such as anxiety or depression and for some a more rare problem such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. Whatever the experience, diagnosis or challenges our people face, we know we can help in a number of ways, including:
- fostering a work culture where everyone is treated with respect and dignity
- making it clear in recruitment that people who have experienced mental health challenges will not be discriminated against
- providing non-judgemental and proactive support for staff who experience mental health challenges
- providing HR Advisors who can provide information and advice for staff and managers, including support to get expert advice from GPs and occupational health professionals
- training and information for managers on mental health and employment
- providing an independent 24/7 advice line with access to counselling and GP guidance
- providing a health and wellbeing information website
- being as flexible as we can about working patterns and time off for appointments
We also have a Mental Health Group, which includes representatives from across Southdown, who review what support we have in place for staff when issues arise and how we promote positive mental health.
Vikki Hayward-Cripps, Chief Executive at Southdown says, “We want our staff to be healthy, happy and to feel supported. This includes supporting our staff’s mental health.
"We support staff by listening, being flexible and non-judgmental, and being there for one another. We also signpost to support from professionals, family and friends.”
In recognition of our efforts to be the best employer we can be, we have recently been named, for the sixth year in a row, a top ten family-friendly employer in the UK and awarded the Gold Investors in People Standard (only achieved by 2% of Investors in People companies).
For more information about working at Southdown visit our website here.