We aim to be promote equality and diversity both in our service delivery and as an employer. We want all our clients and staff to feel welcome, and we won’t tolerate discrimination or unfair treatment.
We exist to support people, regardless of their ability, background or challenges they are facing, to be as happy, healthy, and independent as possible, and to be fully included in our communities.
For 50 years we’ve championed the rights of our clients and supported equal opportunities among our staff. We are proud of our achievements and the positive feedback we receive from external audits.
Our equality, diversity and inclusion strategy
We aim to:
• Ensure fair and equal access to our services.
• Develop our services with an awareness and understanding of equality and diversity issues.
• Show clear leadership and good governance on equality, diversity, and inclusion.
• Make sure that the make up of our Board and staff team reflects the communities we serve and are well-informed about equality, diversity, and inclusion.
• Ensure that our policy, strategy, and the legal context of equality, diversity, and inclusion is well understood by our Board members, staff, clients, and other stakeholders.
• Learn about our future and current service user base and their needs.
• Ensure that all our clients are able to be involved in Southdown to the level they desire.
• Promote community cohesion and social inclusion by working with the full range of organisations in the area.
• Ensure our procurement policies reflect our equality, diversity and inclusion policy.
Our equality, diversity and inclusion policy
We pride ourselves on creating a culture that challenges prejudice and values diversity. We are committed to ensuring that all our employees and clients feel welcome and are not discriminated against or treated unfairly.
We believe that direct or indirect discrimination is wrong, and ensure that our policies and practices provide equal treatment for everyone. Adherence to our equality, diversity and inclusion policy is a condition of employment, and a copy of the policy is given to all job applicants and employees.
All our managers are trained in anti-discriminatory recruitment practice. The diversity of our staff team is monitored to ensure we continue to reflect the diversity of the local communities that we work in. We are accredited by several national bodies for best practice in recruitment.
We monitor the salaries of our workforce to ensure that there is no bias regarding gender and that salaries are fair and comparable to similar organisations. See below for our Gender Pay Gap Reports.
Equality, diversity and inclusion monitoring
Our recruitment and selection procedures are designed to avoid any unfair discrimination towards candidates when considering applications for employment. To help us monitor our equality, diversity and inclusion policy and the effectiveness of our recruitment practices, we ask all applicants to complete a monitoring form as part of their application.
Information provided is treated as confidential and will be viewed and monitored by our Human Resources team only. The monitoring form does not form part of the selection process and will not be seen by the selection panel. If you would prefer not to share these details, please select ‘prefer not to say’ for each heading.